A unique opportunity


A unique opportunity

Beach and dune driving is one of the most popular activities for visitors to the Worimi Conservation Lands – more than 19km of Stockton beach front, and 350 hectares of dunes in the recreational vehicle area (RVA) are open for four-wheel-driving. The RVA provides an area where, in addition to road-registered four-wheel drives and motorbikes, vehicles with ‘conditional registration’ for Stockton Beach can be ridden. The WCL RVA is currently the only RVA on publicly managed land in NSW.

The RVA covers a total of 350 hectares including the majority of the beach, swale and dune area between Fern Bay and Lavis Lane access. Much of this area had been heavily disturbed by sand mining for heavy minerals prior to the creation of the WCL.

Registration and permits


Have you got the right permit?

Conditional registration for Stockton Beach is available only to vehicles that meet specific criteria. The majority of conditionally registered vehicles used on WCL are quad bikes, also known as all-terrain vehicles and, to a lesser extent, trail bikes. Dune buggies and other similar styles of off-road vehicles cannot be conditionally registered and are not permitted. Conditionally registered vehicles can only be ridden during daylight hours.

Conditional registration for Stockton Beach is only available from the NSW Roads and Maritime Services.

Once your vehicle has conditional registration, you’ll need a WCL recreational vehicle (RV) permit to ride it in the RVA – you’ll find details of where to purchase your permit here

Complying with RTA Conditional Registration requirements:
  • All RV’s must have RTA conditional registration for Stockton Bight
  • All owners/operators must ensure their vehicles have a horn, brakes, indicators, rear reflectors, rear vision mirrors, and must wear a helmet when riding – as per the self-declaration completed at the time of registration.
  • Your registration plate, label and beach vehicle permit must be clearly displayed on your vehicle at all times.  Your certificate of approved operations must be kept on you, as it may be requested at any time by NPWS.

These requirements have also been displayed on Worimi Conservation Lands RVA permits, and on signs at the Lavis Lane carpark sign 2016.